Experiment in Non-Print: The New Revolution?

 

Overview

For my experiment in non-print presentation, I originally made a video.  I was inspired by the discussion that we had in class about all of the ways that the internet and new media are allowing people to protest, petition, et cetera, to advocate for change and whether or not it’s a real “revolution.”  YouTube, however, had other plans for me, and, since I could not find an audio file that fit my video as well as the original song, I decided to make a podcast instead.  I simply took what I had written for the video and translated it into a print script for me to read for a podcast.

 

The podcast does not include background music because I had some trouble getting a clear recording of my voice because I do not have a high quality microphone, and I had to cut and edit the original audio to get it to where it’s currently at, and I did not want to mess up what I had already done.  I used Audacity, a program that I’ve never used before, and I kind of had to learn as I went, which was a bit difficult.

 

For this project, because I ended up with two different products, I got to work with two different types of programs that allow you to create new media – Windows Movie Maker and Audacity.  This project, despite the hurdles, made me feel more comfortable with using those programs so that I can construct my Concept in 60 project.

 

Process

I first laid out my plan for the video as a rough outline on some scrap paper, then set about taking screenshots and screen capture videos for my video.  I then edited everything together and added the audio, set about uploading it, and had to remove it because the audio was copyrighted.

 

After I did all that, I set down with my video and worked on creating a written transcript for all of the things that I was trying to show without saying in order to create a podcast.  You can download the podcast transcript <- there.  The script helped me to maintain a clear idea and kept me from messing up a lot when I was speaking.  I deviated a bit from the exact script that I had, but the changes that I made sounded better with the finished product.

 

I then recorded all of the audio, edited it (took out long, unnecessary pauses, “uhms”, and places where I stumbled over my words) and made it more coherent.

 

I think that the video captured the message I was trying to convey much more clearly than the podcast, but I did not want to violate any sort of copyright.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s